Michael Walter Seton Greatorex
- BIRTH. Aged 1 in 1901, son of Theophilus, born at Cowes; born around 1900; born 2 Sep 1899 at Cowes, son of Theophilus and Maude W; registered Michael Walter S, Isle of Wight 1899DEC 2b/573. Hampshire, England. Sources: Census, Army Service Record/National Archive of Australia, GRO/FreeBMD.
- CENSUS. Michael W S; Westminster 2 Apr 1901; St Peter’s Collegiate Church, 5 Little Cloisters; son, aged 1, born at Cowes; in father’s household. London, England. Sources: 1901 census/AncestryCom.
- EMIGRATION. Family moved to Western Australia around 1908. Sources: Father’s appointment as rector of Pinjarra, Western Australia.
- WAR. Enlisted in Australian Army at Perth on 6 Oct 1917, student, born 2 Sep 1899 at Cowes; next of kin Canon Theophilus Greatorex, Pinjarra, signatures of both parents; private Australian Army Medical Corps. Australia. Sources: Army Service Record/National Archive of Australia, Enlistment form.
- WAR. Embarked at Albany 29 Jul 1918 on the Marathon; 11th Bn; disembarked 27 Sep 1918 in London; served in UK and France; Australian Army Medical Corps. Australia, England, France. Sources: Army Service Record/National Archive of Australia.
- WAR. Discharged in England 13 Jun 1919; joined North Russia Relief Force; Pte, 193023, Australian Section, C Company, 201st Bn, Machine Gun Corps; served in Murmansk area, England again in October, discharged Dec 1919. England, Russia. Sources: Army Service Record/National Archive of Australia. Letter 1923.
Michael Greatorex’s signature, and that of his mother’s sister Marion S Gibson.
- MARR. M S Greatorex married Dawn E Scott in 1932, registered Williams District W A, 1932/11. Sources: Western Australia BMD.
- WAR. Enlisted at Perth 18 Sep 1941, occupation road board secretary and engineer, single altered to married, next of kin brother Anthony altered 26 Nov 1941 to wife Evelyn Nellie; photo in records. Australia. Sources: Service record/National Archive of Australia, mobilization record.
- PHOTO. Enlistment photograph 1941:
- MARR. Married Evelyn Nellie Anon around Nov 1941. Sources: Change of next of kin 26 Nov 1941/Service record/National Archive of Australia.
- WAR. Promoted Lieutenant 6 May 1942. Served in Western Australia. Sources: Service record/National Archive of Australia.
- WAR. Lieutenant, to retired list, discharged, 2 Feb 1944. Sources: Service record/National Archive of Australia. Moved to Darwin NT around Jul-Aug 1946.
- DEATH. Died in Dec 1963 (letter to widow March 1964, but referred to as deceased in letter Mar 1963), widow in 1964 Mrs K F Greatorex at Alice Springs. Australia. Sources: Letters in army service record/National Archive of Australia.
- Comments. Son of Theophilus 1865TL01 and Maud W 1867MD01; local govt accountant and civil engineer.
Updated November 2010
Copyright 1995-2010 Sidney Wood