Geoffrey William Edward Greatorex
- BIRTH. Aged 17 in 1917, born at Westminster Cathedral Cloisters; aged 20 in 1918, son of Theophilus and Maude; born around 1898; registered St Geo H Sq 1898MAR 1a/499. London, England. Sources: Army service record, death record, GRO/FreeBMD.
- CENSUS. Geoffrey W E; Westminster 2 April 1901; St Peter’s Collegiate Church, 5 little Cloisters; son, aged 3, born at Westminster; in father’s household. London, England. Sources: 1901 census/AncestryCom.
- EMIGRATION. Family moved to Western Australia around 1908. Sources: Father’s appointment as rector of Pinjarra.
- WAR. Enlisted 1917 in Australian army, private 7986, infantry, aged 19, student; next of kin mother Maude Greatorex altered to father Theophilus; will lodged with father at the Rectory, Pinjarra. Sources: Service Record/Australian National Archive, enlistment form.
- WAR. Embarked on the Aeneas at Melbourne on 30 Oct 1917, 11th Bn 27th reserve; disembarked at Devonport 20 Dec 1917. Australia; Devon, England. Sources: Service Record/Australian National Archive.
- WAR. Posted to base camp at Calais via Dover to reinforce 51st BN; joined unit in the field on 6 Apr 1918. France. Sources: Service Record/Australian National Archive.
- WAR. Killed in action 24 Apr 1918, buried, grave not registered; memorial at Villers Bretonneux; son of Revd Theophilus Greatorex, Rector of Guildford, Western Australia. France. Sources: Service Record/Australian National Archive, Roll of the Sons and Daughters of the Anglican Clergy, Statement of Service, Memorial at Villers Bretonneux.
- PROBATE. Late of Pinjarra, probate granted 8 Oct 1918 to Theophilus Greatorex, estate £152; reported in the West Australian on 11 Oct 1918. Australia. Sources: Army Service Recors/National Archive of Australia, West Australian newspaper.
- WAR. Letter 21 June 1923 from brother Michael to the Australian Army, acknowledging receipt of Geoffrey’s Victory Medal, reporting father’s trip to England. Sources: Service Record/Australian National Archive.
- Comments. Son of Theophilus 1865TL01 and Maud W 1867MD01.
Updated Jan 2017
Copyright 1995-2017 Sidney Wood