John William Henry Sandow
- BIRTH. Aged 11 in 1881, born Liverpool; aged 81 in 1951; born around 1870; born 1 Jan 1870 in 1939; son of John Sandow (deceased mariner) in 1906; baptised 1 Jan 1870 at Dumbarton, Scotland, son of John and Mary Jane, formerly Ray. Sources: IGI, death record, marriage record, censuses, 1939Register/FMP/page.
- CENSUS. William; Liverpool 3 Apr 1881; 32 Wolfe St, Toxteth Park; border aged 11, scholar, born Liverpool; in William Riside’s household. Sources: 1881 census/FMP/page. Nb Mary Jane Whitehead 1869MY02 in same street.
- MARR. Married Mary Jane Whitehead 1861MY03 around 1888; Liverpool. Sources: Parents in Liverpool around 1888, together in 1891, BC of 1896WI01. Children: Mary J 1888MY01, John W 1890JN03, Grace 1894GR01, William J 1896WI01.
- CENSUS. William Henry; Liverpool 5 Apr 1891; 12 Lamport St, South Toxteth; head aged 21, M, dock labourer, born Scotland; with wife Mary Jane, children Mary Jane, William John, stepfather William Reaside, visitor Bridget Hart. Sources: 1891 census/FMP/page.
- CENSUS. William H; Bolton 31 Mar 1901; 159 Halliwell Rd; head, aged 30, M, Railway Police Constable, born Dunbarton Scotland; with wife Rose. Sources: 1901 census/FMP/page.
- MARR. John William H; aged 35, bachelor, stevedore, son of John Sandow (deceased mariner), married widow Emily Louisa Smith 1878EM01, formerly Ward, at St Luke’s, Salford on 26 Nov 1906; registered Salford 1906DEC 8d/197. Sources: MC.
- CENSUS. William; Salford 2 Apr 1911; 46 Broadway; head aged 40, M, Stevedore, born Dunbarton Scotland; with wife Louise, wife’s son Frank and a boarder. Sources: 1911 census/FMP/page.
- MARR. John W H Sandow married Sarah E Vickers 1876SA01, registered Salford 1921SEP 8d-282. Sources: GRO/FreeBMD.
- 1939 Register. John W H, Salford; living at 273 Broadway, born 1 Jan 1870, widower, ships rigger. Sources 1939Register/FMP/page.
- DEATH. John W H Sandow; registered 1951MAR, Salford, 10f/927, aged 81. Sources: GRO/AncestryCom.
- Comments: Son of John 1842JN03 and Mary 1842MY03; dock labourer 1891, general labourer 1896; deceased soldier in Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders 1919 (William J’s MC, nb no Sandow in A&SH).
Updated Oct 2017
Copyright 1995-2017 Sidney Wood