- BIRTH. Baptised 11 Jan 1865 at St Saviour’s, Paddington, son of Reuben Courtnell and Rachel Hadden, architect from 5 Upper Westbourne Terrace; registered 1865MAR Kensington 1a/8. London England. Sources: REG/AncestryCom/page, GRO/FreeBMD.
- CENSUS. Kensington 2 Apr 1871; son, aged 6, born at Paddington; in father’s household. London England. Sources: 1871 census/AncestryCom.
- CENSUS. Dabb’s Hill 3 Apr 1881; Ruislip Road; son, aged 16, scholar, born at Paddington; in father’s household. London England. Sources: 1881 census/AncestryCom.
- SPORT. Played cricket for Harrow, Cambridge University, and Middlesex 1883-1892; obituary in Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack. Sources: Web/CricinfoCom.
- CENSUS. Hammersmith 5 Apr 1891; 13 Brewster Gardens; head, single, aged 26, clerk in holy orders, born at Paddington; with siblings Esther A 26, Philip 13, Benjamin 11 and 1 servant. London England. Sources: 1891 census/AncestryCom.
- MARR. Maud Worsley Gibson 1867MD01; registered 1897JUN I of Wight 2b/1181. Hampshire England. Sources: GRO/FreeBMD. Children: Geoffrey W E 1898GF01, Michael W S 1899MI01, Anthony G W 1905AY01 .
- CHURCH. Officiated at mother’s funeral at St Mary’s Northolt, 5 Dec 1900. London England. Sources: REG/AncestryCom.
- CENSUS. St Peter’s Collegiate Church 31 Mar 1901; 5 Little Cloisters; head, married, aged 36, clergyman Church of England, born at Paddington; with two sons, brother Julius 23, four servants. London England. Sources: 1901 census/AncestryCom.
- EMIGRATION. Family emigrated to Australia around 1908. Sources: Theophilus’s appointments in Western Australia.
- WAR. Theo; Pinjarro 3 Oct 1917; Theophilus’ and Maude’s signatures on son Michael’s Army Service document. Australia. Sources: Son’s Service Documents/Australian National Archive.
- WAR. Son Geoffrey killed 24 Apr 1918 in France at Villers Bretonnaux; son of Revd Theophilus Greatorex, rector of Guildford, Western Australia. Sources: Roll of the Sons and Daughters of the Anglican Clergy. Memorial at Villers Bretonneux. .
- PROBATE. The West Australian 18 Oct 1918, Probates and Administrations; Geoffrey William Edward Greatorex, late of Pinjarra, to Theophilus Greatorex, £152. Australia. Sources: The West Australian newspaper, online archive. Son Geoffey was killed in France at Villers Bretonnaux on 24 Apr 1918.
- EMIGRATION. Theophilus made a trip to England in 1923, reported in a letter from son Michael to the Australian Army concerning Geoffrey’s campaign medal. Sources: Michael’s letter in Geoffrey’s Army Service Records/National Archive of Australia.
- DEATH. Died 1 Aug 1933; buried at St Mary’s, Northolt, of 45 St George’s Sq, London SW1, aged 68; registered St Geo H Sq 1933SEP 1a/409 aged 68. London England. Sources: REG/AncestryCom, GRO/AncestryCom.
- Comments. Son of Reuben C 1823RB01 and Rachel H 1836RA01. Rrector of Pinjarra and Guildford, canon of Bunbury (West Australia).
Updated November 2010
Copyright 1995-2017 Sidney Wood