- BIRTH. Baptised 13 Dec 1829 at Chacewater, son of Stephen and Elizabeth. Sources: REG.
- CENSUS. Chacewater, 6 Jun 1841; at Wheal Butson, St Agnes; age 11, born in Cornwall, miner; with mother. Sources: 1841 census/COCP (HO107/149, Book 2, ED7, Folio 36, Page 9).
- CENSUS. St Cleer; 30 Mar 1851; at Ram’s Head; son, UM, aged 19, copper miner, born Kenwyn; in mother’s household. Sources: 1851 census/AncestryCom/page .
- IMMIG. Arrived South Australia in Jun 1851 on the Sultana. Sources: BISA p. 1426. Josiah must have returned to marry in 1854; in Australia again around 1860.
- MARR. Aged 23, miner of Chacewater, son of Stephen, miner, married Mary Hicks Matthews 1836MY01 11 Apr 1854 at Kenwyn; witnesses Henry Grambols and Oliver Matthews; assumed registered 1854JUN Truro 5c/319. Sources: GRO, REG/COPC, together in 1871. In Australia around 1860 (children born there 1860-1861). Children: William J 1860, Susan 1860SU01, Elizabeth 1864EL01, William 1869WI06. Witness is bride’s brother1838OL01.
- CENSUS. Chacewater, 2 Apr 1871; at Chacewater; aged 40; draper, invalid; born Kenwyn; with wife Mary A 35; children Susan 10 (Australia), William 2; servant Janie Cocking 30. Sources: 1871 census, 1871 census index/Ross.
- CENSUS. Kenwyn, 3 Apr 1881; at Fore Street, Chacewater; aged 50; draper; born Kenwyn; with wife Mary H 45; children Susan 20, John 12, mother Susan Matthews 74 and servant Jane Cocking 40. Sources: 1881 census/FMP/page.
- DEATH. Died 9 Oct 1883 aged 52, gravestone 535 at Chacewater, with infant Elizabeth and Mary H; buried 15 Oct 1883 at Chacewater; assumed registered 1883DEC Truro 5c/96, aged 51. Sources: GRO, REG, MI/CFHS.
- Comments: Son of Stephen 1788ST01 and Elizabeth 1799EL02.
Updated Jul 2019