- BIRTH. Baptised 19 Jun 1825 at St Blazey, son of Elijah, Blacksmith, and Caroline. Sources: IGI, REG/CFS.
- CENSUS. William Sando; St Blazey, 6 Jun 1841; at Packhorse Court Lower Green, age 15, shop apren, born in Cornwall; in mother’s household. Sources: Sources: CF, 1841 census/COCP.
- NAVY. Gun Room Steward on HMS Sappho 6 Mar 1845 to 31 Oct 1846. Sources: RN ship’s muster books.
- NAVY. Gun Room Steward on HMS Mariner 15 Mar1847 to 23 Marr 1848. Sources: RN ship’s muster books.
- NAVY. Gun Room Steward on HMS Albatross 24 Mar1848 to 10 Apr 1849. Sources: RN ship’s muster books.
- NAVY. Captain’s Steward on HMS Meander 11 Apr1849 to 7 Sep 1849 in the far east. Sources: RN ship’s muster books.
- CENSUS. St Blazey, 30 Mar 1851; at Church St; aged 23; lodger, unm; brother; born St Blazey; in brother Augustus’s household. Sources: 1851 census/FMP/page.
- NAVY. Captain’s Steward on HMS Boscawen 3 Apr1851 to 9 Jul 1851 Sources: RN ship’s muster books.NAVY. Captain’s Steward on HMS Waterwitch 10 Jul 1851 to 30 Jul 1853, West Africa, suppressing slave trade. Sources: RN ship’s muster books.
- NAVY. Captain’s Steward on HMS Malacca 9 Jul 1854 to 16 Jun 1857; Mediterranean, Crimea, Crimean Campaign Medal, then north America and the West Indies. Sources: RN ship’s muster books.
- NAVY. RN Steward on HMS Caesar; possibly on board to West Indies and Mexico returning 23 Jun 1859. Sources: Noted on his marriage certificate 1859, and at his death in 1862, all at St Blazey, Cornwall.
- MARR. Steward HMS Caesar, son of Elijah Sandoe dec, married Elizabeth Bennett 1839EL08 10 Jul 1859 at St Blazey; witnessed by John Bennett, Ellen Grace Bennett, Emma Anne Bennett; registered 1859SEP St Austell 5c/185. Sources: GRO/MC. Witnesses are bride’s father and sisters. HMS Caesar was at Portsmouth and Plymouth all summer for repairs.
- CENSUS. St Blazey Apr 1861; at Fore St, lodger, aged 34, M, mariner RN, born St Blazey; with wife Elizabeth in Robert Polsue’s household. Sources: 1861 census/COCP. Elizabeth’s parents next door. HMS Caesar was in the mediterranean all 1861, William was already sick.
- DEATH. RN Steward on HM ship Cesar, aged 36, died 7 July 1862 at St Blazey, bronchitis and consumption 2 years, reported by Johnn Bennett in attendance 12 Jul 1862; registered St Austell 1862SEP 5c/65. Sources: DC/GRO.
- Comments: Son of Elijah 1792EJ01 and Caroline 1795CL01. RN steward in 1845-62.
Updated: March 2009